Friday, November 25, 2011

So I Decided to Start Blog

Hello!  Sooo... I decided to start a blog.  You may ask, why?  I don't have any kids, I'm not married, I'm not crafty, nor can I cook very interesting food.  So why would anyone find my life interesting enough to read about?  Well, I'll tell you! My name is Kaitlin Smithson and I am a sophomore at the University of Arizona.  I am a pre-business major with a minor in spanish.  Now that may not seem too out of the ordinary, but when you hear what I do as a side profession you may fall out of your seats.  I, Kaitlin Smithson, am 19 years old and am a National Park Ranger at the Petrified Forest National Park.  Yes, you heard me right!  College student by day, Ranger by break from school.  With that being said, I am going to blog about my college experience along with my experience as a Park Ranger. 

This job has been an immense blessing in my life.  Not only do they pay me well above minimum wage and they hold my position as a seasonal ranger even while I'm down in Tucson at school, but I absolutely love the work.  I work in the department of interpretation as an interpreter.  You are probably thinking that because my minor is in spanish I interpret for spanish speakers.  Well... That is not the case!  Interpreters actually don't interpret foreign languages, but interpret all of the geological, paleontological, archaeological, historical, etc. information for the general public.  I give presentations explaining the park and try to get the visitors to feel the same love for their surroundings that I feel.  I love working with people, being outdoors, and learning about the world around me, so naturally, this job is a perfect fit!

I love what I do and I hope my blog may get other college students to look into this wonderful opportunity (in my next post I will explain how to go about doing such).  I also hope to be able to give some insight into what college is like for those planning on joining me in furthering their educations.  

2 comments: